Pennsylvania Child Relocation Actions – Forms 8, 9 and 10

By Jones & Associates Law P.C.

At the time of divorce, one of the most important decisions that separating couples in Media and elsewhere who have children need to resolve is related to child custody. Based on the various factors, a child custody arrangement is put in place and the parents are bound by that arrangement.

However, as time passes after divorce, the parent who has custody of the child may want to relocate from Media to another city in Pennsylvania or to another state. The reasons for relocation can vary but one thing that cannot be ignored is that such relocation causes the custody arrangement to change.

Since child custody arrangements are made in the best interests of the child, it is mandatory for custodial parents to inform the state whenever there is any change in where the child lives. This is done to ensure that the non-custodial parent is not deprived of spending adequate amount of time with the child.

Child Relocation Actions in Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania, there are three forms that parents need to use whenever they wish to either relocate or of stop a parent from relocation with the child. All the three child relocation forms are available on the Pennsylvania Courts website.

  • Form 8: Notice of Proposed Relocation for Custodial Parent with a Custody Order

  • Form 9: Notice of Proposed Relocation for Custodial Parent without a Custody Order

  • Form 10: Counter-Affidavit Regarding Relocation

As can be seen from the form names, each of them applies to a particular situation. Custodial parents need to use either Form 8 or Form 9 based on whether there is a custody order in place or not. Non-custodial parents need to use Form 10 to provide their consent for any such relocation request.

Issues Between Parents Regarding Relocation

Relocation has the tendency to become a contentious issue between divorced spouses. While in some cases it can actually prove to be in the best interests of the child, one cannot deny that there are cases when the custodial parents uses relocation as a tool to restrict the non-custodial parent’s access to the child.

Depending on what one’s situation is, it is always advisable to enter into child relocation actions with the help of professional. With the right legal guidance, parents, and the state, can protect the child’s best interest. At the same time, they can ensure that the relocation is peaceful with every stakeholder on board.